Monday, July 10, 2017

[Solved] Ubuntu log in GUI problem

Solve Ubuntu log in GUI problem

Problem definition:
I have ubuntu-desktop 16.04 to access it via GUI. Now I get the GUI login screen with my username (display name) but when i enter my password the screen just flicks and comes back to login screen ( doesnt give me any error). the same user works fine with same credentials in CLI.
strange thing is when i click on guest, it logs me in straight away and works fine.

Solution from stackflow:

This looks like the .Xauthority file is corrupted. Try this in a tty:
sudo mv .Xauthority .Xauthority_backup
Then restart lightdm and try to log in again:
sudo service lightdm restart
If that was not the cause, restore the file to its previous state:
sudo mv .Xauthority_backup .Xauthority

No comments:

Post a Comment